Readers

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

# Book Review # Dorothy Garlock

Book Review: Stay a Little Longer

Summary from GoodReads: Louise Watkins has her hands full. Her mother had been the town midwife, but after her daughter Alice died under her care, she refused to assist in a childbirth ever again. Since then Louise has assumed the work. She also takes care of Alice's six-year old, Charlotte, because the child's father was lost in World War I. But Louise's principal job is running the boardinghouse that is the family's main source of income. One day, Charlotte befriends a stranger ill with influenza, a man who has taken refuge in an old cabin in the woods nearby. Although badly scarred by wounds suffered in the War, he is strong and slowly recovers. When he gradually takes on odd jobs around the house, Louise accepts his help. She is drawn to him despite his disfigurement, and his voice is comforting, vaguely familiar... 


My Review: This is the second book that I read within a week that the cover was a little misleading as to what the characters would look like and be. I know, sometimes it's the little things that bother me. 


The start of this book moved a little slow for me as your learning how Louise is where she is {so to speak}. I found myself having a really difficult time trying to connect with the characters. As sad as it sounds, I think my favorite character was the dog. There is a slightly unexpected twist toward the end of the book. That helped me some. 


I haven't read any other Dorothy Garlock, but have heard what a wonderful author she is and have been wanting to pick up some of her books for quite some time. I think this was the wrong one for me to start off with. If you are a fan of her work, of course this is a must read for your collection. I will, however, be picking up some other books written by her. 




RATING: ♥♥



Pages: 384
Hardcover








Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

1 comment:

  1. I've read several of her books and I honestly don't care for her work. I, like you, pickred up one, didn't care for it, tried another, same result, tried another and still didn't like it. Those who read her work, I'd love to know some book titles from her that you thought were 4 or 5 star books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.