Readers

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

# Annette Laing # Book Review

Book Review: Don't Know Where, Don't Know When


Summary from GoodReads:
What a nightmare.
Hannah Dias, California Girl with Attitude, and Alex, her laid-back brother, have moved from exciting San Francisco to boring Snipesville, Georgia. Life doesn't improve when they meet Brandon, a dorky kid who is plotting his escape from the Deep South, and the weird Professor, who has a strange secret.
Suddenly, the kids are catapulted thousands of miles and almost seventy years to England during World War Two.
They fall into a world of stinging nettles, dragon ladies, bomb blasts, ugly underwear, stinky sandwiches, painful punishments, and non-absorbing toilet paper. They learn so much more than they could ever learn in a history class. Not that they want to learn it.
But they can't go home unless they find George Braithwaite, whoever he is, and whatever it is that he has to do with Snipesville.


My Review: This is book 1 in The Snipesville Chronicles. This is a great read for both boys and girls since there's a bother and sister team, of sorts. For me, I found Hannah annoyingly whiny. But then, looking at my own girls, I saw how it totally fit with life and the story.

The kids get to travel to 1940's England. In order to return to present time, they have to embark on an adventurous journey. This book gives a pretty good view of the differences of today versus 1940. Although, as a history *buff,* I did find myself wishing for more history.

My kids loved the time travel journey as Alex and Hannah. It was nice for them to relate themselves to other siblings.

This is a great read for your kids. I'll definitely be watching for further releases from this series.



RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 204
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too---it was great, very well-written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I'm going to drop in and read Kelli's review too. I think I'll be picking this up for my kid's library area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have a hard time finding books both my son & daughter like so may try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book. I'm adding this to my pick up list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.