Readers

Monday, November 22, 2010

# Book Review # C.J. West

Book Review: The End of Marking Time

Summary from GoodReads: Gifted housebreaker, Michael O'Connor, awakens inside an ultramodern criminal justice system where prison walls are replaced by surveillance equipment and a host of actors hired to determine if he is worthy of freedom. While he was sleeping, the Supreme Court declared long term incarceration to be cruel and unusual punishment and ordered two million felons released. The result was utter chaos and the backlash from law-abiding citizens and police departments reshaped the United States. Felons now enter reeducation programs where they live freely among the population. At least that's what they think. In reality they are enslaved to an army of counselors and a black box that teaches them everything they failed to learn from kindergarten through adulthood. Michael believes he's being tested by the black box, but what he slowly begins to realize is that everything he does is evaluated to determine whether he lives or dies


My Review: Do not expect to sleep while reading this book. The plot is addictive. I didn't want to put it down and even though I started it really late at night {the plan was to read a couple chapters and finish it in the morning}, I ended up staying up until I had finished it. 

Michael becomes the guy down the the street that you know. He's a criminal and it catches up to him, of course. The catch is, this "judicial system" isn't like ours.

This is one of those psychological thrillers that will have you thinking about the book long after you've read the last page. Grab this one for a great Friday or Saturday night read. You won't be sorry.


RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 266
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

1 comment:

  1. Mystee,

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. It always makes me smile when someone says the had to finish before going to sleep. I also know there are some heavy issues in this book and I'm glad the book has stayed with you.

    Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.