Readers

Saturday, January 8, 2011

# Book Review # Mark Whiteway

Book Review: Lodestone Book Two: The World of Ice & Stars

Summary from GoodReads: The desperate race to save a world continues! Washed up on a desolate shore on the far side of the world along with the Chandara, Boxx, Shann must try to uncover the truth about the fate of her companions, while searching for a vital artifact hidden by an ancient civilization. "Once again, Whiteway creates a whole new world for us to revel in. The author hits his stride in terms of plot development and continuous action. In Book Two, Whiteway takes the time, (and wonderfully), to give each of the major characters a distinct personality, and develops intricate relationships and conflicts between them all. I can honestly say that Book Two is better than the first, and that is quite an accomplishment. This is an absolute must read. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" -- Gregg J. Haugland, Allbooks Reviews "Author Mark Whiteway has a knack for developing an epic saga. Captivated from the opening pages, I felt unable to stop reading as I became truly engaged in the story. The result is a mesmerizing read that showcases Whiteway's considerable imagination and creativity. Book Two: The World of Ice and Stars is a must read. You should read the wonderful prequel knowing that the follow-up is even better. Highly recommended." -- William Potter, Reader's Choice Book Reviews. "While this book can stand alone the true pleasure of this story comes from knowing the complete tale. Mark Whiteway is the master of description. Middle school age children will enjoy this tale and ask for more and so will adults. Five Stars." -- Debra Gaynor,


My Review: I have been looking forward to reviewing this book since I was sent Book 1 {and yes, there is a book 3 coming}. I enjoyed the first book so much that before diving into book 2, I re-read book one WITH my kids as part of our homeschool program After all, there's nothing wrong with a little escape. I wasn't sure how much they'd grasp and follow, but to my surprise they did well.


We then dove into book 2 together. My boys love these. 


Mark has again produced wonderful characters. You know them. Each one is unique. 


After the ending of book 1, you wonder if the characters we've grown to enjoy will make it across Storm Barrier. I really enjoyed the two world, separated of course, by the Storm Barrier and the differences of the sides.


I absolutely love how Mark has once again taken us into his own world. They have their own technologies, languages, planet differences. 


I will say that this is a series that you need to read in order. Not because you won't enjoy book 2 as a stand alone, but because you miss so much of the initial world that has been developed in the Lodestone books. Book 1 was great, Book 2 even better because we were able to get to know the characters better because we already understood the background and world from book 1.


This is a must have for any fantasy genre reader. Even if you aren't, this is a great place to start.


RATING: ♥♥♥♥♥

Pages: 
Softcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.