Readers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

# Book Review # Philip Yancey

Book Review: What Good Is God?

Summary from GoodReads: Journalist and spiritual seeker Philip Yancey has always struggled with the most basic questions of the Christian faith. The question he tackles in WHAT GOOD IS GOD? concerns the practical value of belief in God. His search for the answer to this question took him to some amazing settings around the world: Mumbai, India when the firing started during the terrorist attacks; at the motel where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated; on the Virginia Tech campus soon after the massacre; an AA convention; and even to a conference for women in prostitution. At each of the 10 places he visited, his preparation for the visit and exactly what he said to the people he met each provided evidence that faith really does work when what we believe is severely tested. WHAT GOOD IS GOD? tells the story of Philips journey--the background, the preparation, the presentations themselves. Here is a story of grace for armchair travelers, spiritual seekers, and those in desperate need of assurance that their faith really matters

My Review: I've had a few inquiries lately as to my religious standings, so I thought I'd quickly address them here. Although, I don't ever consider religious views a basis to be someone's friend, to not be someone';s friend, to read their reviews or not to read their reviews...I will say, in honesty, I am not a religious person. However, I am open-minded and objective enough to adequately review things that may not hold my exact beliefs. I've learned many things and developed a further understanding of various issues by allowing myself to be open-minded and read a large variety of materials. As you can tell from previous reviews, my personal standings do NOT influence my reviews or their objectivity.


This book goes head on with some tough life circumstances that could cause people to question their faith. 


He picks out some very *sensitive* areas of fairly recent events. He takes a look at the lifestyles and events and gives some incite. Everyone has questions, no matter their own personal beliefs. I know Christians that struggle daily with they *why's* of their own faith. It's not abnormal in any area.  Philip Yancey doesn't beat around the bush, but gives honest and difficult answers backed up by faith.


This is a must read for any Christian as well as any reader looking to expand their incite and knowledge.


RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 287
Hardcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

1 comment:

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.