Readers

Sunday, October 31, 2010

# Book Review # Jill Kelly

Book Review: Without a Word

Summary from GoodReads: WITHOUT A WORD is a riveting memoir that blends remarkable achievement with passion, sacrifice, love, pain, and human interest. It takes the reader into the lives of a celebrity couple, Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, and his wife, Jill, to reveal the Kelly family's private struggle and how seven years with their severely disabled, terminally ill son, Hunter, unfolded in a redemptive and transforming manner. The light of Hunter's love through his brief and silent life shone into the shadowed corners of Jill and Jim's lives resulting in Jill believing that Jesus Christ was authentic, her learning to forgive Jim of past indiscretions, and finally resulting in Jim's seeking and finding God. Lessons gleaned from Hunter's life and death, and Jim and Jill's struggle to save their marriage during tumultuous times, make this a compelling and inspiring read.


My Review: Geez, I really don't know where to start with this. I will say I don't think it's what I thought the book was going to be about. This is truly a heartbreaking story. 


A few months had passed since Hunter's birth. Jim and Kelly were given news that Hunter had a fatal genetic disease. They were faced with hearing there to be no treatments and that their new baby wouldn't live past the age of two. How does a parent even begin to cope with a time limit placed on their child?


A little news is that through what I call family love, Hunter did live until the age of 8. 


This book goes into Jill's struggle, her challenges and feelings as her family struggled day to day with Hunter and the awareness of his disease. The brave and loving way they kept him a part of each activity they did.


As a mom, this book was as heartbreaking for me as reading The Legacy of Beezer and Boomer. We all have those nights where we want to watch that movie that will give us that good reason to cry -- well, here's a book to take place of the movie. 


My only let down of the book was there wasn't more incite into the feelings of NFL hall of fame star Jim Kelly. As a long time football fan, I'd have loved to have heard his side as well. 


RATING: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 253
Hardcover

Review copy of this book provided by the author/publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. In no way did the provision of the book affect the outcome of my review.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I could read this. Wonderful review though. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a comment. Please feel free to re-share anything on my blog in any of the social networks. I can't always reply to each comment, but I do read them all.